Mount Avgo

By mountainsGreece, March 2, 2017

Mount Avgo is located north of mount Chatzi and belongs to the southern Pindus range. Its three peaks, Loupata, Marosa and Avgo, all exceed 2.000 meters in height. It is one of the several mountain peaks throughout Greece bearing the same name- Chelmos has two, while one of the most popular ones is mount Avgo of Valia Kalda, situated north of Metsovo. Rivers Acheloos and Vathyrema flow on the western foot of the mountain, while fir forests cover the lower part of its slopes.

The ascend to the summit is not particularly demanding and does not necessitate special equipment. Harder to reach is Marosa peak with its steep cliffs, which become even more dangerous after snowfall.

The routes to the peaks start from different villages at the foot of the mountain, with the most popular starting from Stournareika, Nea Pefki (Plop), Pyrra and Neraidochori (Chatzipetros) which are located on the north side.

For climbers, who want to take their first steps in winter conditions, the area has much to offer. The high plateau to the north, among the peaks and Avgo and Marossa is ideal for camping and from there you can reach almost all of the massif. An alternative route with several technical difficulties is the ridge that connects the peak Avgo to Marossa. In winter it is very dangerous and not recommended for inexperienced climbers. In the summer, however, it can be done avoiding the steep crossing points from the right and left.

Highest elevation
(Avgo) 2.148m.

Distance
391Km from Athens.
311Km from Thessaloniki.

Shelters
None

Recommended routes
Nea Pefki – Summit

The trail starts from the village of Nea Pefki. We arrive at the village cafe and move parallel to the river. After a sharp left turn, we cross the river and head to the right; straight the road continues to Fraxos village. The dirt road will lead us to the church above the village. Before reaching the church, turn left into a small forest road, which has begun to close by the vegetation.

At some time we meet again the main forest road. Turn right and ascend up the forest track. Shortly before leaving the road, we pass outside of a pen. We continue on the forest road until we reach a fountain. The road stops here and we continue on a path that goes up. It is a good idea to make a stop under the last fir trees because there is no shade higher

Recommended routes
Nea Pefki – Summit

The trail starts from the village of Nea Pefki. We arrive at the village cafe and move parallel to the river. After a sharp left turn, we cross the river and head to the right; straight the road continues to Fraxos village. The dirt road will lead us to the church above the village. Before reaching the church, turn left into a small forest road, which has begun to close by the vegetation.

At some time we meet again the main forest road. Turn right and ascend up the forest track. Shortly before leaving the road, we pass outside of a pen. We continue on the forest road until we reach a fountain. The road stops here and we continue on a path that goes up. It is a good idea to make a stop under the last fir trees because there is no shade higher.

We follow the path until we reach the ridge of the mountain, with its top on the right. We head towards that direction and we will see on our left the trail. From this point we can either follow the trail, which approaches the top in a circular way passing from the top “Mikro Avgo” or try direct ascent.

Local History
The villages in the region have an interesting story, starting from Pertouli which is located in the shadow of the mountains Neraida, Koziakas, Loupata and Avgo and first mentioned in written sources of the early 10th century. In 1720, the entire area was deserted after a plague epidemic, and in 1823 was burned down by Selichtar Boda with Neraidochori and Pyrra. In 1943, the village is destroyed again, this time because there was the headquarters of the Greek resistance organizations.

New Pine was first mentioned in the Turkish census of 1454/55 as “Polop.” The name comes from the word Vlach “Plopplupu ‘, which means white. It is the homeland of Nicolas Stournari, chieftain of the district, who on July 5, 1821 declaried the revolution in the area of Aspropotamos; Stournaraika took its current name in 1929.

Local History
The villages in the region have an interesting story, starting from Pertouli which is located in the shadow of the mountains Neraida, Koziakas, Loupata and Avgo and first mentioned in written sources of the early 10th century. In 1720, the entire area was deserted after a plague epidemic, and in 1823 was burned down by Selichtar Boda with Neraidochori and Pyrra. In 1943, the village is destroyed again, this time because there was the headquarters of the Greek resistance organizations.

New Pine was first mentioned in the Turkish census of 1454/55 as “Polop.” The name comes from the word Vlach “Plopplupu ‘, which means white. It is the homeland of Nicolas Stournari, chieftain of the district, who on July 5, 1821 declaried the revolution in the area of Aspropotamos; Stournaraika took its current name in 1929.

Nearby sights
Nea Pefki lies about 63 km away from Trikala at an altitude of 850m. It is a small village with few inhabitants and the only cafe in the village square is not always open. Just outside the village and under the tall bridge passes Vathyrema creek – a good suggestion for those who love to explore unknown places, away from crowded hiking trails.

A visit to river Acheloos is definitely worth it just below the village Mesochora, but also the waterfall “koritsampidima” (jump of the girls) at the point where there are two picturesque bridges are found just before the entrance of Stournareika. According to legend, from this place three girls fell into the river to escape from the hands of Saracens or the Turks.

Ski resorts
There are no ski resorts in Avgo but the mountain is proposed for ski mountaineering.