The bridge of Portitsa is within walking distance from the village of Spileo in Grevena prefecture. To visit it we can go either on foot from the paved path that begins near the village’s primary school, or go by car from dirt track which also starts from the village. It was constructed in 1743 with money from the monastery of the Spileo.
River Venetikos flows under the bridge, which is a tributary of to the longest river of Greece Aliakmonas. In both these rivers you can do rafting. There are some impressive towering cliffs at the entrance of the canyon of Portitsa. During the summer months the water level falls near the bridge, allowing the crossing of the gorge. Of course the water in some places remains deep so those who want to cross need to be prepared for swimming. An alternative circular path starts from the village of Spileo, goes over the bridge and leads to a forest road. From here we turn right and after a while we meet again the riverbed. We go across the river and turn right again along the road which leads us back to the bridge of Portitsa.
author – photographer: Panos Bampaloukas